The IRCPL awards fellowships to graduate students at Columbia University to travel abroad or within the United States to conduct research on their dissertations.
Up to four fellowships are available to Columbia doctoral students who are preparing proposals or conducting research for their dissertations. The fellowship provides each student $4000 to cover expenses directly related to research, including travel, lodging, and materials, during the Summer or Fall semester. Students are also expected to make oral presentations on the results of their research. Previous fellows can be found here.
Eligibility: Applications are welcome from students in Ph.D., J.S.D. and Ed.D. programs at Columbia’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Law School, or Teachers College, who are preparing prospectuses or chapters for their dissertations. Preference is given to students who are doing research on subjects that relate to those listed in the IRCPL mission statement and that involves travel abroad. Domestic travel to conduct archival research or research in particular communities will also be considered.
All proposals must be submitted in English and according to standard paper formatting guidelines. Emphasis should be placed on completeness of the application and clarity of content. The full proposal must include all content that is outlined below, in the order in which it is listed. Please submit the content below as a single pdf, where possible.
1) A curriculum vitae, not to exceed two pages. Please include your departmental affiliation and up-to-date contact information
2) A description of the research project, not to exceed five pages
3) A travel plan and schedule for completion of the dissertation, not to exceed two pages
4) An itemized budget
5) A printed transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
6) One letter of reference from a faculty member who will serve on your dissertation committee
Applications for the 2017 IRCPL Graduate Fellowships are due on Friday, January 20, 2017. Email your complete application to email@example.com. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.